Monday, March 3, 2014

Glass...

on the way home tonight from a set installation...saw an older man step down the stairs onto the subway platform. overstuffed brief case bag, trench coat, crooked red bow tie with print...and something from the starship enterprise atop his face. He stopped, scrolled his finger along side his glasses before taking off in swift steps. i bypassed my usual last car of the train as it arrived to trot along some after him... Into the same train car I stepped and began my inquiry as soon as i sat beside him: "Sir, what is that on your eyes?" "Ah" he laughs, "I just got them! --Google Glass!" " I thought so!" I became so excited, and told him that he's the first person on the street that i've ever seen wearing them. "Would you like to try them?" he asked as he took them off and offered them to me. My smile must have been 10 feet wide as we adjusted them onto my face.

Now usually--previously-- the thought of such technology has concerned me. But tonight, there was only pure joy as I sat beside him using my finger to scroll through weather and news headlines...as i peered into a weightless bit of glass...realizing also that i was looking at the introductory draft of an IDEA placed in glass...

We spent the rest of our time talking of the 1964 world fair, things unimagined, and the gift of the differentiation of minds...law and theatre...both of us in full glee...and not just of the tiny glass cube and all of the technology within ...but we were in glee of something much bigger---of human creativity--brilliance--and the things  born from it...And it made others watching  us smile too....

a world not yet imagined...yup .it is coming. tis here now... And as long as i get to keep my heart--and sensual intelligence in the deal---i must say, i'm ready.

thanks Phillip! 

No comments:

Post a Comment